Sunday, October 28, 2007

Reality check... check!

I've learned so much about keeping my finances straight from working at a credit union the last couple of months... it's unbelievable. Just by seeing other people go through economic hardship because of stupid credit card debt and multiple loans. One does not have to be a millionaire to be debt free or at least as close to it as possible. It's about being smart and having your priorities clear.

I have a story... As trivial as it may sound, this event made me realize that I do not want to live with the debt burden. So I went to a department store to buy a couple blouses for work. Of course, I had to go look around... and of course, I saw a coat that caught my attention. It was $260 and I do not need a new coat. I loved it... I wanted to take it home with me... I tried it on... it made me feel beautiful. I do not need a new coat. I do not have $260. What to do? What to do? Maybe I can put it on lay away, I thought. I asked the hubster, my wonderful hubster. He said no. Rarely he says no to me. I was disappointed. I cried... I wanted it. But then it hit me... this is exactly why we have debt. Lack of control, compulsion, numbness of the senses, material desire, I believe it is called just being plain irresponsible with your life. I'm not saying it is wrong to have things... we need things, but we have to be cautious. Wanting stuff can become my doom. We talked about it. Debt can get unbearable in the blink of an eye. We are starting our life together. We are lucky... we own a house... we own a car... we have jobs. We have a future waiting for us. We are growing up... learning to be adults. We took matters into our own hands. We got rid of our credit cards and decided on a way to pay off our debt. We can sleep at night. Nothing is for sure in this life but now I know that there's stuff I can do to help me live it fully.

No comments: