Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Growing Up

I got my learner's permit... it might sound like no big deal. But this is coming from a girl that already had a learner's permit and let it expire. I was a little terrified of driving and other cars. I'm proud to say that I still get nervous but I'm learning to drive (and I think I'm really good). Hopefully, I'll be able to get my driver's license before the crazy winter from Upstate NY arrives, although I'm not pushing it.

I haven't mentioned this but I've been buying books (how-to books, that is) like crazy. As you already know, the hubster (a.k.a. my own personal spoiler) got me a sewing machine and I want to put it to good use (because I'm a Project Runway wannabe and I'm proud of it). So, I went to B&N and got these with my b-day money (I feel like I'm a teenager!!!):
  1. - I love this book. It's easy to understand and have everything you need, and then some, to get you started.
  2. - This one is fun... with lots of tips and tricks. It comes with patterns for a shirt, skirt, and pants. Also, gives you ideas on how to modify those pieces and make them your own.
  3. - I couldn't resist this one. It's full of great projects for all around the house and people. Also showcases beautiful vintage fabrics. Amy Butler is good.
I know I'll have more to say about them as I try the projects...

The other night, I watched The Birdcage (for the first time... mind you. Where was I all this time? Maybe living under a rock.) with the hubster. It was hillarious! Totally, loved it. It's not just about a gay couple... it's like RENT. Yes, they want to expose gay couples... but they also want us to understand that they love the same way straight people do and and have the same household problems, if not even more. It's just about people loving people and, ironically, the conflicts that may bring.

I'll end this post now... it was kind of random.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CONGRATS on getting your permit. I am righ tthere with you! I have mine yet haven't had the guts to take the driving test yet (you have to park and leave form a old closed in parking garage... scarey stuff for me).
It's hard to overcome those fears of handling a piece of machinery that can kill others, and yourself. People who have driven all their lives sometimes don't under stand that.
Good luck, and just remember, thousands of people drive for eons and never have a wreck.
You will do fine!

ooo I have been wanting vogue sewing thats for the review!